by: King Smith
Hello Cornerstone! This is the first of what will probably be many blogs! This will probably turn out to be our primary method of communication.
Communication going forward will be challenging. Our two best methods are: 1) Facebook – you can go to Cornerstone Church Boone Iowa. We will be posting videos and comments there to encourage you and let you know what is going on. 2) Our website: boonecornerstone.com/blog. We haven’t used the blog page much in the past, but this will be a great place to get information. Oddly enough, I have a lot for time for blogging now!
Today there are a few thoughts I’d like to share, and some information that you may want. First, I am reminded of 2 Timothy 1:7 “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” We do not need to fear the current situation. In fact, this is a great time to demonstrate our faith in God and let others see that faith! We have been given power to push through it. We have love for each other and for tour neighbors and those that need Jesus. And, we have the self-discipline necessary to make the wise decisions we need to make. What an exciting time to be the church!
If you missed the video announcement, here are some things you need to know.
- We will endeavor to use the church facilities as little as possible for two reasons. First, we do not want to become a giant petri dish where the virus can be left and picked up. The fewer people that use the facilities, the better we can accomplish this. We will be disinfecting the church this week (to the best of our abilities), and we would like it to remain sanitized until we reopen. Also, it is a BIG building and can be expensive to heat. We want to use the money given to the church wisely. Keeping the building empty allows us to keep thermostats set low and save a tremendous amount of money on utilities.
- Services and gatherings (youth group, ABC, etc.) are cancelled until further notice. This Sunday, our sermon will be live streamed at 9AM on Facebook. Again, go to the Cornerstone page. Sermons will also continue to be posted on the website.
- If you are a small group that meets at the church, we request that you meet in someone’s home.
- If you have reserved the Fellowship Hall for an event, we request that you find another location or cancel your event – which may be wise anyway.
- If you are a key carrier, please do not go into the church unless necessary.
We also want you to know that Brad and I are still here to serve you in any capacity we can. We are still working (although from home as much as possible). We are here to meet with you or visit you if requested.
Finally, I have been asked by several people how they can continue to give financially to Cornerstone. First, thank you for your generous consideration! We know that most people are far more worried about the economic impact of the current situation than the virus itself. We’re concerned for each of you and how you may be affected by this. We are profoundly grateful to know that there are those of you that care about Cornerstone financially in the midst of this crisis. There are really only two ways to give: 1) through our website: https://boonecornerstone.com/connect/give/ then click on the ‘donate’ button on the page. 2) Mail a check to: Cornerstone Church, 111 6th St., Boone, IA 50036.
We’re grateful for all of you! Together we will be the church that God wants us to be! Blessings, King.